Monday, October 24, 2011

Tip for the Tropics #1

So, while I am sure that most of you are sick to death of hearing about my laundry, I just have to share something that is revolutionary.  And I don't say that lightly.  At all. 

If you have been with us for any length of time, you have heard me talk about the challenges of drying clothes here durning the rainy season.  Like here, and here, and here.

But let me recap.  It's rainy season.  Stuff doesn't dry.  Even with fans.  Ever.  And just imagine how towels get.  The midew smell coming from the bathroom has been bad.  And even when the towels are dry, they have this, well, funk to them.  Ya know what I mean? 

So, I started to think about how I could fix this.  Cause it certainly isn't in the budget to buy all new towels.  And really, aside from the funk, they are very nice towels.  So, I went to my old stand by, vinegar.  Just plain old white vinegar.  I added that to the fabric softener dispenser thing.  And then I thought, "well, tea tree oil is an anti fungal, anti viral, anti bacteria.  Let's try some of that!"  So in went a few drops of that to the vingear in the fabric softener dispernser thing.  Since we don't have hot water hooked up to our washer, I used cold, por supuesto.



And low and behold, those suckers come out of the washer funk free!  No lie!  Just like brand new!  It makes me want to take a shower again.  I am telling you, I knew the towels were clean, but when they smelled so weird, it just made you not want to use them at all!



So there you go, your first Tip for the Tropics.

And just because, as an added bonus, here are a couple of photos of the boys.  They should both be sleeping at this point, but as you can see, just one is.



2 comments:

  1. Yea!!!! I'm glad you found a solution. Tea Tree oil is a must. As standard in our house as toilet paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I read this post. We have had the same issue with our towels. I bought some tea tree oil this morning. How much vinegar do you use, how many drops of oil and do you still use detergent when you wash the towels? Thank you so much for a great solution! Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete

You are clever, tell me whatcha think!