Wednesday, February 24, 2010

15 Gallons


So here is the next installment of the Cheese Making Adventures.

Last week I got an email from a regular volunteer here at camp who also is a regular reader here at Part of the Whole.  She mentioned that she had more fresh milk than she could deal with each day, was coming up for the weekend to help out, and wondered if I would like her to bring up the surplus.  To which I said an emphatic "YES!"

When she came on Friday night, I was shocked!  She had brought 15 gallons!  I was scrounging containers to put it all in by Sunday so she could take her's home.


I had grand plans for it all.  I was going to leave some to drink, it would be such good whole milk for the boys.  I was also going to make some into cheese, and I knew I needed to share the love with a friend and send some downstate to my brother with my sister and brother who were up for the weekend.


The difference between this milk and the commercial milk in the cheese making process was incredible!  One works, the other didn't!  Joe and I made a batch of mozzarella and it turned out perfect!


I was very excited to make some more for my Bible Study group last night.  I figured since I had so much milk it would be a good idea to double the recipe.  I even checked the website and they said that was totally doable.

And as it turned out...both double batches FAILED!  Miserably.  Oh, it was so very disappointing!  I was in tears over it.  The last failed batch I was able to salvage to make something like ricotta with.  I am going to use in ravioli later this week.  Oh, so very sad!  The best I can figure, the failure was due to trying to double the recipe.  You know, sorta like trying to double a jam recipe.

So, I have a gallon and a half left.  I can get one more batch out of that and still have a half gallon left for the boys to drink. But, I am pretty sure I can say now, that this cheese making thing isn't quite as easy as I thought it was going to be.  I have failed at it more than I have succeeded.  Maybe I need to just stick to growing yeast and friendly bacteria!

4 comments:

  1. What a bummer! At least it turned ibto something useable.
    I have to say, you are much more ambitious tha me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out. I would be in tears, too. I was thinking what Pam said, you at least have the ambition to try. I have a slab of Velveeta in the frige. Please don't think any less of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, yes it is sad, but I think you helped me out since I have thought several times- try a double batch. I think I will stick with a single. I am glad you got to enjoy all that you have though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good Kim! I am glad my failure helps you out! And since you make much more cheese than I, it works out! Consider it a fair trade for the milk:)

    ReplyDelete

You are clever, tell me whatcha think!