Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bread


I have always been scared to make bread. Oh, not the quick bread kind...I have been making that for years. I am talking about the yeast kind. Yeast scares me.

Anyway, I have a couple of friends who make bread all the time and they kept telling me it isn't that big of a deal. So a few weeks ago, I tried a recipe I had for millet bread. Yah, let's just say that I didn't let it rise enough and it turned out like something the Hebrews would have made in Egypt to help with Pharaoh's construction projects.

Yesterday I felt like it was time to try again. I bravely set out, this time determined to let the dough rise enough. I have an interesting recipe that actually takes a couple of days. I like it because it calls for several whole grains and I added flax seed to this batch. I think it turned out pretty well. All of us, save Elliot (just milk for him still) have been gobbling it up. Here's the recipe (from Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair):

Starter Dough
2 cups cooked whole grains (I used oatmeal this time)
2 cups water
1/4 cup cold pressed vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1 cup whole wheat flour (more or less)

Blend grains and water in a blender until creamy. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Miz in oil, salkt and yeast. Add enough flour to make the mixture look like thick cooked cereal. Vover and leave for 12-24 hours at room temp. Once the odoug is fermented, it can be refrigerated fro up to a week before using to making bread.


To make the bread
1/4 cup sweetener ( I used the juice from canned peaches)
2 cups whole wheat flour
3-4 cups white or whole wheat flour (I used 1 more cup whole wheat and 2 cups of white)
Any extras you want (flax seed, herbs etc.)

After the 12-24 hours, add sweetener to starter dough and stir. Add flour, stiring with spoon, or hands as needed. When dough is less sticky, transfer to a floured surface and kneed for 10-15 minutes or until dough is soft and springy, but not too sticky. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in warm place for 1 1/2 -2 hours.

Baking
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon barley malt or maple syrup (I used that peach juice again)
1 teaspoon cold pressed vegetable oil
1/4 taspoon sea salt

Place dough in bread pans or make a free form loaf (I like the free form thing best I think). Mix together and coat top of loafs with mix. Cover and let rise 45-60 mintues or until loaves have doubled in size. Preheat over to 350 and bake 45-50 minutes.






Forrest's lunch today

1 comment:

  1. SEE!! I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT! I'm dropping in for a slice, looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete

You are clever, tell me whatcha think!