Monday, November 29, 2010

Comfort food for the Ears

As we were eating a dinner of left overs and this and that, I came to a realization.  Rich Mullins is like red sauce.

Noah looked at me like I was nuts.  And then he laughed, because he got what I was saying. 

See, in my family, we really can't stand meatloaf and mashed potatoes, or goulash, or any of the normal comfort foods.  When we are emotional distraught, needed to be wrapped in the familiar tastes of our childhood, we turn to red sauce.  And yes, it's called red sauce, not marinara sauce.  Growing up, we probably ate it three times a week.  While my parents aren't Italian, they are by association.  They were some of the only protestant Irish and English kids in their schools in Niagara Falls, New York.

I just got an old Rich Mullins album A Liturgy, A Legacy, and A Ragamuffin Band.  I haven't listened to that one since I was in Bolivia seven and half years ago, becuase it got left there.  But I found that since it's something like seventeen years old, I could get it for about $3 including shipping.  Not bad. 



And as the familiar lyrics and melodies drifted around our house, I realized how comforting it was.  Just like red sauce for the ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are clever, tell me whatcha think!