Saturday, February 13, 2010

Do Other People Think Like This?

I am one of those people who starts to process a transition or event long before it's necessary.  Like by years.  Example.  When I was a kid, I took horsemanship at camp so that when I lived in the jungles of Latin America, I would know how to ride a horse if the need would arise.  Seriously, that's why I did it.  

 


I also decided it would be a good idea to take auto shop in high school so that I would know how to take care of my beat up safari jeep in the jungles of Latin America.  Only they turned the auto shop into the art department before I got a chance to take the class.
Now that our move to Latin America is much closer, there isn't a day that goes by when I don't think about that transition.  And what we are going to take, and how that will work, and oh, will we need a water filter system?  And I should probably learn how to make bread, and pasta, and yogurt, and what kids toys will fit well into the suitcases, and I have to figure out a way to take my super drying rack, and and and and.  You get the point.

 

I have started to get our family ready for the move while still  living here.  My thought is, if we can get used to something now, it will be one less thing that we will have to transition through.  What?  I can't get disposable diapers?  Oh, no biggie, we already have the cloth diapering thing down.  Oh, I can't get yogurt in the quantity my family wants?  No problem, I know how to make it. There is going to be plenty to deal with, eyhummm...SPANISH.  Consistent power outages, SPANISH, new food and water hygiene, SPANISH.



My new premove transition is cloth napkins.  Paper towels and napkins aren't as plentiful or cheap as they are here.  So, why not figure out the cloth napkins now.  So this week we started.  When I went to Ikea on Monday, I picked up some fun fabric, a clearance pillow case I took apart and a twin flat sheet to make some.  Of course I felt like an idiot when I cleaned out the linen close the next day and realized I had 16 cloth napkins already.  Always, always check your cupboards and bins before you buy something!



I made a set of six for a bridal shower I am going to next week.  I think they turned out awful cute.  And they cost $1 for the set.  Can't beat that!  

 

This afternoon while the boys sleep (I pray) I am going to tackle the other sets for us. I am so glad last spring I went ahead and bought my new sewing machine!  And I told Noah, "you understand my machine is coming with us, right?"

3 comments:

  1. Good for you on the cloth napkins. We made the switch right after Christmas this year and have never looked back...except for a couple of days when we ran out of cloth napkins during moving week when I didn't have a washing machine. They are really a lot of fun, and James thinks they are "fancy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about switching was what inspired me! I thought to myself, "self, Jenney did it, and it really can't be that much more laundry, and it's going to be cheaper, and get us ready for Honduras, and eco friendly...blah blah, blah..." So we did it! And it's worked well so far! I think I have enough to not have to worry about doing laundry everyday for them. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

You are clever, tell me whatcha think!